Training module 1
Orientation for New Council Members
Revised in 2007
The mission of University of Missouri Extension is to: improve Missourians' lives by addressing their highest priorities through the application of research-based knowledge and resources. As an integral part of the land-grant mission, University of Missouri Extension is a joint venture of University of Missouri campuses; Lincoln University Cooperative Extension; the people of Missouri through county extension councils: National Institute for Food and Agriculture of the U.S. Department of Agriculture; and other stakeholders and partners.
As a county extension council member, you play a vital role in meeting these educational needs. County extension councils are statutorily created to work with the University in carrying out the local extension program (Sections 262:550 to 262:620, Revised Statutes of Missouri). This module will assist new council members in understanding:
- Their role as a county extension council member
- The county extension council's relationship with the university.
- Powerpoint presentation (PPT) — updated February 27, 2017
To print Speaker Notes, select "Notes Pages" under "Print What:" in print menu
Orientation for New Council Members (PDF) — An introduction to serving on county extension councils and to University of Missouri Extension's mission and organization. Includes:
- Revised Missouri Statutes, Sections 262:550 to 262:620 outline the extension council's legal responsibilities.
- The Sunshine Law: Missouri's Open Meetings and Records Law (Sections 610.010 to 610.028)
As statutorily created entities, county extension councils are subject to the provisions of the state's Open Meetings and Records Law. This document summarizes key points.
- Acronyms - Glossary of MU Extension acronyms
- Brief History of Missouri Extension - Overview of the origins of Missouri's statewide extension service.
Trainer notes and council activity (PDF) — Hands-on activity to introduce new members to the extension council and its operations. Includes tips for presenters, a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes, and a set of icebreakers and warm-up activities to help members get acquainted and build trust.