Following is the policy, procedure and application form for regional faculty attending professional meetings, seminars and conferences. This policy was updated and approved by MU administration in June 2013.
University of Missouri Extension Regional Specialists are encouraged to join and participate in professional organizations and societies appropriate to their academic disciplines and duties. University of Missouri also supports the participation of Regional Specialists as presenters at professional conferences and seminars.
MU Extension supports scholarship and participation in regional and national professional meetings as follows:
- Official leave may be granted for MU Extension regional specialists to attend professional meeting(s) per the discretion of their regional director in consultation with their program director.
- The amount of official leave allowable is the number of days scheduled for the meeting and up to one day’s travel time before and after the meeting.
- Reimbursement will be provided for reasonable and necessary expenses within University travel regulations.
- For faculty members with 0-4 years of service (from anniversary date with MU Extension), the maximum reimbursement will be $1,500 in any one fiscal year, and a maximum of $3,000 over the full 4 years.
- For faculty with more than 4 years of service, the maximum reimbursement to attend will be:
- One fiscal year — $750 or
- Two fiscal years— $1,000
- When presenting a program, scholarly paper, or poster, or on a programming committee, or as a state officer (or voting delegate), or on a board at the national level, an additional $500 reimbursement will be available per presentation per fiscal year.
Applications should be submitted to the Regional Director at least three months before the beginning date of the meeting.
Professional and/or society meetings may include, but are not limited to:
- Professional association meetings related to the extension function.
Ex.: National Association of County Agricultural Agents, National Association of Extension 4-H Youth Agents, National Association of Extension Family and Consumer Sciences, American Association of Adult and Continuing Education, National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals, National Association of Extension Program and Staff Development Professionals.
- Professional or society meetings related to the individual’s academic discipline.
Ex.: American Society of Agronomy, American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, American Society of Animal Science, Community Development Society, American Association of Adult and Continuing Education
- Workshop, seminar or other professional development.
The continuation of funding described in this policy is dependent upon the availability of travel and faculty development funds. This policy will be evaluated after one year to determine viability and continuation.
It is strongly encouraged that Regional Specialists notify Regional Directors before applying to present.
- Regional Specialists submit Application for Approval to Present/Attend at Professional Society Meeting, Conference or Seminar form to their Regional Director for approval.
- Regional Director in consultation with appropriate Program Director, signs, approves and notifies the faculty member of application approval.
- Regional Director’s office records information on tracking spreadsheet.
- Regional Director’s office retains the official copy of the approved application.
- Faculty members submit expense report through the Travel & Expense system.
- Administrative Management verifies eligibility and processes expense report for reimbursement.
Application form for attending/presenting at a professional conference (fillable PDF) | DOC
Note: the PDF will allow you to save the file once you have filled in the fields. It may be signed with a digital signature and sent to your regional director as an attachment.