Farmers market resources
Farmers market location
Marshfield Farmers Market
When: Every Friday, April 21 through October, from 3 to 7 p.m.
Where: Young's Shopping Center parking lot at 900 W. Washington St. in Marshfield, Mo.
Contact: Sue DeWitt, Phone: 417-473-6910, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or see Facebook page.
Produce auctions and locations
C Highway Produce Auction, State Highway Short P, Seymour, MO
When: The auctions are held Fridays starting April 14 through May, and Tuesdays and Fridays in June, July, August, September and October. Auction start time is 10 a.m.
Where: Go north of Seymour, Mo. on Highway C about 5.5 miles, turn east on Highway P (“Short P”) and go about 1/4 mile. The 60 ft. x 153 ft. open-air auction barn is on the south side of the road.
Terms and Conditions: Sellers that do not grow their own produce or are outside the 50-mile zone need prior approval from the auction board. There is an 11% commission rate, and there will be packaging restrictions to keep the product as uniform as possible. Ask for our packing and Grading Guide. New and used boxes will be available at the auction. Consigners will be assigned permanent numbers, enabling buyers to buy more consistently. Buyers need to have their sales tax number in our file or pay sales tax. New boxes are available at the produce auction. Not responsible for misplaced items.
Contact: Sammy J. M. Schwartz, manager, 4773 Hazelwood Rd, Seymour, MO 65746; or Steve Cantrell, auctioneer, 1056 Homestead Rd, Seymour, MO 65746, Phone: 417-380-0562
Webster County Produce Auction, 801 Berry Road, Seymour, MO
When: The auctions are held Tuesdays and Fridays from April 14 through October 13 (except May 16 and 23). Auction start time is 10 a.m.
Where: From eastbound on U.S. Highway 60 from Springfield, take Short Road/Killdeer Road median crossover (at west Seymour city limit sign), turn north, then go back westbound on U.S. 60, 0.3 mile to Berry Road (at Schrable Fertilizer), then north 0.8 mile to auction barn at 801 Berry Road.
From west Business 60 exit at Seymour (near McDonald's restaurant) go west on U.S. Highway 60 about 2.1 miles to Berry Road (at Schrable Fertilizer), then go north 0.8 mile to auction barn at 801 Berry Road.
Contact: Bob Crump, auctioneer, P.O. Box 575, Seymour, MO 65746. Phone 417-935-4039 or 417-464-4040, email email@example.com, or visit his website at www.bobcrumpauctions.org/Produce.
- MU Extension publication G6223, Starting and Operating a Farmers Market: Frequently Asked Questions — Covers a wide variety of issues to make a market successful and legal
- MU Extension publication MP906, Community Gardening Toolkit — Resources to help those interested in starting a community garden
- MU Extension publication G6222, Selling Strategies for Local Food Producers
- MU Extension publication G6221, Marketing Vegetables in Missouri
- AgSquared — Record-keeping software tailor-made for small farms. See Missouri Beginning Farming's review of AgSquared.
- Small Farms and Alternative Enterprise Budgets — Know your costs for small-scale fresh-market farming. These budgets are based on 100-foot row gardening.
- USDA Farmers Markets and Local Food Marketing — Many resources for growers wanting to direct-market their products
- Whole Animal Buying Guide for Consumers — This Iowa State University Extension and Outreach publication explains buying pork and beef as whole animals (or portions thereof) from local producers. Covers marketing terms, information on storage and handling, meat inspection, meat cut out weight, and includes color photos of common retail beef and pork cuts.
- "Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food" Program — A USDA-wide effort to create new economic opportunities by better connecting consumers with local producers. It is also the start of a national conversation about the importance of understanding where your food comes from and how it gets to your plate.
- Farmers Market Terminal Prices — USDA listing of current wholesale prices for fruits and vegetables
- Missouri Alternatives Center — Information on alternative agriculture enterprises. Click on the "Link List - Extension Information on Alternatives" to search for a particular enterprise, or call 636-797-5391.
Food safety and defense
Laws and regulations
Market directories and associations
Product handling and storage